Colt's Growing Chart

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Addie's Growing Chart

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby's Growing Chart

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 17, 2009

First Week at Home...

Wow, I didn't realize how much time and energy it takes to care for a baby and I guess there really wasn't anything anyone could have said to prepare me anyway.

We came home from the hospital on May 13, 2009 (Wednesday) around 5 p.m. My mom (K-K) drove us home from the hospital. She was unfamiliar with my car, so it was a little nerve racking when she pulled out on Hwy 84 in 1st gear (Colt thought so too - see pic!!). Thankfully we live only 5 minutes from the hospital and arrived saftely after I told her how to get in gear. Here Colt is on the way home from the hospital (hold on!!):

The past two weeks has been Spring Training at Northview and Josh, being the newly hired Offensive Coordinator, has been very busy. He has been taking 1/2 days off of school to be with us at the hospital. He could only manage to take a 1/2 day off to help us pack-up and take pictures of our last day. We were the featured couple for the new deliveries at Flowers for the Dothan Eagle. Sadly to say, he wasn't able to come home with us...When we got home Daisy and Gizzy were patiently waiting, we unpacked and my mom MADE me sit and rest. I was so glad she did! I didn't think about how I would feel after having a baby, all I could think of was him...but my body went through a lot and would only allow me to do certain things before I got exhausted. The first thing we did was put Colt in his bassinet to get some good pictures of him in his "going home outfit" and he just cried and cried...not a happy baby. He finally calmed down and was starting to settle in.


Our friend Leah brought us over Chicken Spag, salad and bread that night and it was the best meal I felt like I'd ever had. Oh, and she brought chocolate mocha cake...SO good! Thanks Leah!

Our first night was TERRIBLE!! Colt knew he was in an unfamiliar place. He slept in his bassinet beside our bed. Well, I say 'slept' but there wasn't much of that going on. He cried all night, I fed him, fed him and fed him...nothing seemed to calm him. Finally my mom heard him screaming around 4 am and took him from me. As soon as she came into the room, I just lost it. I couldn't stop the tears...I couldn't even calm my own baby. I was so relieved when she took him but felt guilty that I didn't have the right touch. I slept until around 6:30 when Josh came into the room (he slept on the couch b/c he had to work on Thursday) and I lost it again as soon as he started asking how it went and comforting me...instead of going back to sleep, I had to see what he was doing. I went into my mom's room and she was sleeping with Colt right on top of her...so sweet...a sleeping baby!! After that night, the nights began to get a little easier, though I dreaded when the sun went down and it was time to go to sleep again:(

All in all I think he's a good baby, he does sleep a lot but I feel like he sleeps more during the day than at night (but that may be b/c I want to sleep at night). He is SUCH a cute baby, I can't take enough pictures...actually I think I may have gone overboard. But he makes the best faces (duck faces) and he looks like he's going to have a great personality...he's very alert and happy most of the time.

His 2 day appt on Friday with Dr. Benak went very well. He weighed 7 lbs exactly and everything else looked normal, except he was a little jaundice. The doc told us to sit him in front of a window in the indirect sunlight and it should clear up (just like a plant).

We have had SO many visitors come over, it's really been an overwhelming week and the days are already flying!



Some of the visitors were Ava Grace Yates (1 month) and Canon Moss (2 months). Ava wasn't cooperating that day!

My mom has been a HUGE help this week. She has bought groceries for us, cooked, took care of me, and helped with Colt (of course) and just loves him! I couldn't do it without her and I couldn't thank her enough. I don't want her to leave!!!

Some of the firsts that Colt experienced this week is his first bath...well at home anyway...see how well that went (poor baby)!!



He also learned how to hold his paci in his mouth by himself (ok, by luck):


No comments:

Post a Comment